Experimental Sound Research in a AAA major international project:
The action title "Kane & Lynch2:
Dog Days" (IO Interactive/EIDOS) features an original score of psychological
ambient soundscapes instead of conventional ingame music. Over 300 minutes of
abstract, disturbing and complex noise and ambient layers from various unusual
sources create the desired "driving but opressive" atmosphere. "Normal" music only
appears when anchored in the scene. "If we are successful, the audience willperceive this as a game without music, but with a strong sense of the mood in the
environment". (Karsten Lund, Game Director)
1. The background - Industrial Music in the early 80s
2. The mission - "Youtube", "Reality 2.0" : crime shooter "Kane & Lynch 2" and its"Industrial Terror Ambience"
3. The art of noise - how to create a great variety of environmental non-music
4. The workflow - how to brief your external composer well
5. Ideal and reality - Resume
Takeaway: The lecture suggests a "Reality 2.0" audio concept for more mature game titles and genres, gives film- and pop culture references, shows how to createa huge variety of c and recommends ways of communication between developer and
Intended Audience: The session is targeted at game developers, producers, art
directors, publishers, but also at composers, sound designers and audio directors.
There is no profound prerequisite audio-technical knowledge requested but a strong
interest in game audio and the fundamental effects of sound and music in audiovisual
art and media is necessary.
Eligible Passes: All Access Pass, Main Conference Pass, Audio Pass